Friday, June 18, 2010

Iconic Guides website

Iconic Guides


Thanks to Benedict Davies (the author of the Deir el-Medina 'genealogy bible', entitled 'Who's Who at Deir el-Medina'), for sending me details of his new website. The guides are not free of charge but they aren't expensive and you can listen to samples on the website. It looks like a great idea to me. Here's what he has to say:

I just wanted to bring your attention to my new website, which may be of some interest to the followers of your blog - the address of which is www.iconicguides.com. Iconic Guides are a series of fascinating 'audio tours' to some of the world's most famous ancient historical sites and monuments. I've primarily been focussing on sites from ancient Egypt (as one would expect), but have also begun to branch out into other civilisations, such as Japan and Greece (two of my other interests). I have recently recruited several other scholars to write guides to further sites in Greece and Italy, and am actively seeking scholars/writers to present ideas for future guides.

Easy to use, each guide comes in MP3 format and can be played on any MP3-compatible device, such as Apple’s iPods and iPhones, as well as most mobile phones. The guides are packed with detailed information and probing insights into the cultural, artistic and architectural heritage of these ancient destinations. Whilst initially aimed at the independent traveller, I strongly believe that they could also be of tremendous benefit to members of traditional tour parties.

No comments: